The Privacy Act 1988 is an Australian law which regulates the handling of personal information about individuals.
Personal information is information or an opinion that identifies or could reasonably identify an individual. Some examples include but are not limited to are name, address, telephone number, date of birth, medical records, bank account details, and opinions.
The Privacy Act includes thirteen Australian Privacy Principles (APPs). The APPs set out standards, rights and obligations for the handling, holding, use, accessing and correction of personal information (including sensitive information).
Personal information held by the Academy of Fitness may include:
your name, date of birth, current and previous addresses, telephone/mobile phone number, email address, occupation, emergency contact details, individual learning needs and other personal details provided by you.
If you do not provide the Academy of Fitness with requested personal information, we will be unable to provide you with information and/or services.
By providing the Academy with your personal information you provide express consent to receive information and promotional offers from the Academy of Fitness. You may opt out of receiving information and offers at any time using the unsubscribe link. If you are unable to find the unsubscribe link, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting to be unsubscribed from information and promotional offers.
Why we collect your personal information
As a registered training organisation (RTO), we collect your personal information so we can process and manage your enrolment in a vocational education and training (VET) course with us.
How we use your personal information
Your personal information may be used to:
- send you information and promotional offers through a number of communication channels
- subscribe to our information on products and services
- provide the information and promotional offers on products and services through a number of communication channels including website, email, SMS, social media and telecommunications
- administer and manage the provision of information, promotional offers and services
- determine the ways the information, promotional offers, products and/or services provided to you could be improved
- verify your identify
- search for and/or update your information on the USI Registry
- we use your personal information to enable us to deliver VET courses to you, and otherwise, as needed, to comply with our obligations as an RTO.
When we disclose your personal information
In order to deliver the information, products and services you require, the Academy of Fitness may disclose your personal information to organisations outside the Academy, which carry out our:
- printing and delivering activities
- customer enquiries and database maintenance
- mailing systems
- billing and debt-recovery functions and listing on credit defaulter database
- information technology services
- compliance and quality assurance
We may also disclose your personal information to:
- your authorised representatives or your legal advisors (when requested by you to do so)
- Our professional advisors, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers
- Government and regulatory authorities and other organisations, as required or authorised by law
- We are required by law (under the National Vocational Education and Training Regulator Act 2011 (Cth) (NVETR Act)) to disclose the personal information we collect about you to the National VET Data Collection kept by the National Centre for Vocational Education Research Ltd (NCVER). The NCVER is responsible for collecting, managing, analysing and communicating research and statistics about the Australian VET sector.
- We are also authorised by law (under the NVETR Act) to disclose your personal information to the relevant state or territory training authority.
How do we store your data?
Academy of Fitness securely stores your personal data on a web-based client relationship management system (CRM), student management system (SMS), and LMS, all of which are password protected.
Academy of Fitness does not store any of your personal financial data. Financial information such as credit card details are encrypted and collected for payment purposes only.
Analytical information relating to your interaction with our website, mobile app and LMS is securely stored on our LMS or our password-protected Google Analytic account.
The length of time we keep your personal data depends on what it is and whether we have an ongoing business need to retain it (for example, a minimum time we are required to keep your information to comply with our contractual obligations as a Registered Training Organisation). Once this time period has expired, we will delete your data in accordance with the procedure outlined in our record-keeping policy.
Why we verify the identity of our potential students
As a registered training organisation we are obliged (amongst other things) to ensure that in the recruitment of students we assess a potential student’s desire to participate in a course; assess a potential student’s intention to complete a course; assess the potential student’s ability to complete the course and assess that the potential student understands the requirements of the course. The Academy of Fitness has determined that the verification of a potential student’s identity must occur in order for the Academy to fulfil it’s obligations in this regard. If a potential student does not allow the Academy of Fitness to verify their identity, we will be unable to provide you with information and/or services.
Privacy Notice for Enrolled Students
Under the Data Provision Requirements 2012, the Academy of Fitness is required to collect personal information about you and to disclose that personal information to the National Centre for Vocational Education Research Ltd (NCVER).
Your personal information (including the personal information you submit to the Academy of Fitness and your training activity data) may be used or disclosed by Academy of Fitness for statistical, regulatory, research and marketing purposes.
Academy of Fitness may disclose your personal information to third parties, including but not limited to:
- School – if you are a secondary student undertaking VET, including a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship;
- Employer – if you are enrolled in training paid by your employer;
- Commonwealth and State or Territory government departments and authorised agencies;
- Organisations conducting student surveys; and
Personal information disclosed to NCVER may be used or disclosed for the following purposes:
- Issuing a VET Statement of Attainment or VET Qualification, and populating Authenticated VET Transcripts;
- facilitating statistics and research relating to education, including surveys;
- understanding how the VET market operates, for policy, workforce planning and consumer information; and
- administering VET, including program administration, regulation, monitoring and evaluation.
How the NCVER and other bodies handle your personal information
The NCVER will collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information in accordance with the law, including the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and the NVETR Act. Your personal information may be used and disclosed by NCVER for purposes that include populating authenticated VET transcripts; administration of VET; facilitation of statistics and research relating to education, including surveys and data linkage; and understanding the VET market.
The NCVER is authorised to disclose information to the Australian Government Department of Education, Skills and Employment (DESE), Commonwealth authorities, State and Territory authorities (other than registered training organisations) that deal with matters relating to VET and VET regulators for the purposes of those bodies, including to enable:
• administration of VET, including program administration, regulation, monitoring and evaluation
• facilitation of statistics and research relating to education, including surveys and data linkage
• understanding how the VET market operates, for policy, workforce planning and consumer information.
The NCVER may also disclose personal information to persons engaged by NCVER to conduct research on NCVER’s behalf.
The NCVER does not intend to disclose your personal information to any overseas recipients.
If you would like to seek access to or correct your information, in the first instance, please contact your RTO using the contact details listed below.
DESE is authorised by law, including the Privacy Act and the NVETR Act, to collect, use and disclose your personal information to fulfil specified functions and activities. For more information about how the DESE will handle your personal information, please refer to the DESE VET Privacy Notice at https://www.dese.gov.au/national-vet-data/vet-privacy-notice.
You may receive a student survey which may be run by a government department or an NCVER employee, agent, third-party contractor or another authorised agency. Please note you may opt out of the survey at the time of being contacted.
Marketing Information – AdRoll
- When visitors come to your site, third parties (such as AdRoll) may place cookies on their browsers for targeted advertising purposes.
- A list of all the types of personal data collected by your website. For example, IP addresses, cookie identifiers or other tracking technologies such as pixels, and end-user website activity.
- If you do not wish to be contacted by the Academy or subscribed to our marketing system you can opt out at anytime by messaging email@example.com.
What are your data protection rights?
As the data subject, you are entitled to the following:
The right to access: You have the right to request Academy of Fitness for copies of your personal data.
The right to rectification: You have the right to request that Academy of Fitness corrects any information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request Academy of Fitness to complete any information you believe is incomplete.
The right to erasure: You have the right to request that Academy of Fitness erase your personal data, under certain conditions.
The right to restrict processing: You have the right to object to Academy of Fitness processing your personal data, under certain conditions.
The right to data portability: You have the right to request that Academy of Fitness transfer the data that we have collected to another organisation, or directly to you, under certain conditions.
The right to object: You have the right to object to Academy of Fitness processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes.
The right to object to automated processing, including profiling: You have the right to request that you are not subject to a decision based solely on automated processing or profiling or be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling.
At any time, you may contact Academy of Fitness to:
• request access to your personal information
• correct your personal information
• make a complaint about how your personal information has been handled
• ask a question about this Privacy Notice
You can contact the Academy in writing with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org