The Privacy Act 1988 is an Australian law which regulates the handling of personal information about individuals.
Personal information is information or an opinion that identifies or could reasonably identify an individual. Some examples are name, address, telephone number, date of birth, medical records, bank account details, and opinions.
The Privacy Act includes thirteen Australian Privacy Principles (APPs). The APPs set out standards, rights and obligations for the handling, holding, use, accessing and correction of personal information (including sensitive information).
Personal information held by the Academy of Fitness may include:
your name, date of birth, current and previous addresses, telephone/mobile phone number, email address, occupation and other details provided by you.
If you do not provide the Academy of Fitness with requested personal information, we will be unable to provide you with information and/or services.
By providing the Academy with your personal information you provide express consent to receive information and offers from the Academy.
How we use your personal information
Your personal information may be used to:
- send you information and offers
- subscribe to our information on products and services
- provide the information and services you require through a number of communication channels including website, email, SMS and telecommunications
- administer and manage the provision of information and services
- determine the ways the information, products and/or services provided to you could be improved
- verify your identify
When we disclose your personal information
In order to deliver the information, products and services you require, the Academy of Fitness may disclose your personal information to organisations outside the Academy, which carry out our:
- printing and delivering activities
- customer enquiries and database maintenance
- mailing systems
- billing and debt-recovery functions and listing on credit defaulter database
- information technology services
- compliance and quality assurance
We may also disclose your personal information to:
- your authorised representatives or your legal advisors (when requested by you to do so)
- Our professional advisors, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers
- Government and regulatory authorities and other organisations, as required or authorised by law
Why we verify the identity of our potential students
As a registered training organisation and member of the Australian Council of Private Education and Training (ACPET) we are obliged (amongst other things) to ensure that in the recruitment of students we assess a potential student’s desire to participate in a course; assess a potential student’s intention to complete a course; assess the potential student’s ability to complete the course and assess that the potential student understands the requirements of the course. The Academy of Fitness has determined that the verification of a potential student’s identity must occur in order for the Academy to fulfil it’s obligations in this regard. If a potential student does not allow the Academy of Fitness to verify their identity, we will be unable to provide you with information and/or services.