The Privacy Act 1988 is an Australian law which regulates the handling of personal information about individuals.
Personal information is information or an opinion that identifies or could reasonably identify an individual. Some examples include but are not limited to are name, address, telephone number, date of birth, medical records, bank account details, and opinions.
The Privacy Act includes thirteen Australian Privacy Principles (APPs). The APPs set out standards, rights and obligations for the handling, holding, use, accessing and correction of personal information (including sensitive information).
Personal information held by the Academy of Fitness may include:
your name, date of birth, current and previous addresses, telephone/mobile phone number, email address, occupation, emergency contact details, individual learning needs and other personal details provided by you.
If you do not provide the Academy of Fitness with requested personal information, we will be unable to provide you with information and/or services.
By providing the Academy with your personal information you provide express consent to receive information and promotional offers from the Academy of Fitness. You may opt out of receiving information and offers at any time using the unsubscribe link. If you are unable to find the unsubscribe link, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting to be unsubscribed from information and promotional offers.
How we use your personal information
Your personal information may be used to:
- send you information and promotional offers through a number of communication channels
- subscribe to our information on products and services
- provide the information and promotional offers on products and services through a number of communication channels including website, email, SMS, social media and telecommunications
- administer and manage the provision of information, promotional offers and services
- determine the ways the information, promotional offers, products and/or services provided to you could be improved
- verify your identify
- search for and/or update your information on the USI Registry
When we disclose your personal information
In order to deliver the information, products and services you require, the Academy of Fitness may disclose your personal information to organisations outside the Academy, which carry out our:
- printing and delivering activities
- customer enquiries and database maintenance
- mailing systems
- billing and debt-recovery functions and listing on credit defaulter database
- information technology services
- compliance and quality assurance
We may also disclose your personal information to:
- your authorised representatives or your legal advisors (when requested by you to do so)
- Our professional advisors, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers
- Government and regulatory authorities and other organisations, as required or authorised by law
Why we verify the identity of our potential students
As a registered training organisation and member of the Australian Council of Private Education and Training (ACPET) we are obliged (amongst other things) to ensure that in the recruitment of students we assess a potential student’s desire to participate in a course; assess a potential student’s intention to complete a course; assess the potential student’s ability to complete the course and assess that the potential student understands the requirements of the course. The Academy of Fitness has determined that the verification of a potential student’s identity must occur in order for the Academy to fulfil it’s obligations in this regard. If a potential student does not allow the Academy of Fitness to verify their identity, we will be unable to provide you with information and/or services.
Privacy Notice for Enrolled Students
Under the Data Provision Requirements 2012, the Academy of Fitness is required to collect personal information about you and to disclose that personal information to the National Centre for Vocational Education Research Ltd (NCVER).
Your personal information (including the personal information you submit to the Academy of Fitness and your training activity data) may be used or disclosed by Academy of Fitness for statistical, regulatory, research and marketing purposes.
Academy of Fitness may disclose your personal information to third parties, including but not limited to:
- School – if you are a secondary student undertaking VET, including a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship;
- Employer – if you are enrolled in training paid by your employer;
- Commonwealth and State or Territory government departments and authorised agencies;
- Organisations conducting student surveys; and
Personal information disclosed to NCVER may be used or disclosed for the following purposes:
- Issuing a VET Statement of Attainment or VET Qualification, and populating Authenticated VET Transcripts;
- facilitating statistics and research relating to education, including surveys;
- understanding how the VET market operates, for policy, workforce planning and consumer information; and
- administering VET, including program administration, regulation, monitoring and evaluation.
You may receive an NCVER student survey which may be administered by an NCVER employee, agent or third party contractor. You may opt out of the survey at the time of being contacted.
NCVER will collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), the VET Data Policy and all NCVER policies and protocols (including those published on NCVER’s website at www.ncver.edu.au).